About Me

My photo
This is a blog for John Weber. One of my joys in life is helping others get ahead in life. Content here will be focused on that from this date forward. John was a Skype for Business MVP (2015-2018) - before that, a Lync Server MVP (2010-2014). I used to write a variety of articles (https://tsoorad.blogspot.com) on technical issues with a smattering of other interests. I have a variety of certifications dating back to Novell CNE and working up through the Microsoft MCP stack to MCITP multiple times. FWIW, I am on my third career - ex-USMC, retired US Army. I have a fancy MBA. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone.

2015/05/07

SfB/Lync audio failures

 

Adios Audio!

The Issue

I don’t know about anyone else, but I have noticed that since I ran updates into my Windows 8.1 laptop the other week, my audio on my laptop has failed completely at least twice.  Today it quit very annoyingly right before I tried to make a Skype call.  Right off, I thought I had a device (headset) failure, or a mute button pushed, or something like that.  But no.

When this happens, ALL audio is gone.  Not just SfB/Lync.  System sounds, dings, dongs, and other helpful bleeps are simply not happening.  This is a Windows 8.1 operating system thing.

I have a Lenovo T530.  But, some google-fu and some University of Bing show that this is not just my Lenovo.

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=windows+8.1+audio+not+working

http://www.bing.com/search?FORM=UWDFTU&PC=SK2F&q=windows+8.1+audio+not+working&src=IE-TopResult&conversationid=

How to fix this? 

Well, rebooting did not seem to work.  But this did:

Start services.msc, go to Windows Audio Endpoint Builder, and restart it.  This will prompt you to accept a restart of the Windows Audio also.  Do that.  On restart, your audio will be back. 

image

then

image

then

image

And you should be good.

Keep in mind that I have now had to do this several times (or at least twice) and while this fixes the issue, the restart does not seem to completely fix the issue, as it has come back at me.

YMMV

No comments:

test 02 Feb

this is a test it’s only a test this should be a picture