About Me

My photo
This is a blog for John Weber. One of my joys in life is helping others get ahead in life. Content here will be focused on that from this date forward. John was a Skype for Business MVP (2015-2018) - before that, a Lync Server MVP (2010-2014). I used to write a variety of articles (https://tsoorad.blogspot.com) on technical issues with a smattering of other interests. I have a variety of certifications dating back to Novell CNE and working up through the Microsoft MCP stack to MCITP multiple times. FWIW, I am on my third career - ex-USMC, retired US Army. I have a fancy MBA. The opinions expressed on this blog are mine and mine alone.

2011/06/24

2008r2 and TMG and VPN = NO!

The Issue

Having just ran around the world on this, it would appear that even with TMG SP1, Server 2008R2 does not allow TMG to do simple PPTP VPN. I foolishly thought I would insert the VPN service into my lab as a quick test.  All my web publishing rules continued to work flawlessly; Lync Web Components; NAT for my Lync, Exchange 2010 publishing – everything worked except VPN.

If you are intensely interested, the VPN connection would be made, but no traffic was allowed to flow.  Don’t know why, and at this point I don’t much care. 

The Fix

I fixed it by building a new server on 2008 SP2.   If you are doing a project that includes TMG and want to have the same TMG provide VPN, you should most likely think about it and lab it before you continue.

Hopefully, someone can point out the errors of my ways and show me what I did wrong.  YMMV.

No comments:

test 02 Feb

this is a test it’s only a test this should be a picture